My mind is far too curious; always rambling from one thing to another and so I cannot dedicate this blog to any one subject. Therefore, I bring you my everything. All writings are subject to change as I see fit. I am always learning and improving, therefore some works are worthy of re-editing and some are simply works I've moved too far beyond.

3/8/13

The Psychic Ills, live @ The Doug Fir Lounge March 2nd


The Psychic Ills, supported by Föllakzoid and Kinski
March 2nd, 2013

The Psychic Ills have given us One Track Mind in 2013, an album that can be considered fairly more accessible than much of their previous work. That isn't a negative attribute in the least. In fact, on the contrary. I believe this album sheds light on the well rounded adaptablity that the entire band harnesses. There is restraint exercised that sharpens the psychedelic-pointed ambition of their music; it truly must be experienced live to really feel the chilling impact of these new songs they have constructed. That is testament received first hand by yours truly because my first run through One Track Mind was very forgettable at best. The very same day I saw them perform most of the songs ten feet before me and I felt an immediate urgency to return to the album so that the flame their performance sparked would be re-ignited. Now there is no turning back. I listen to it at least once a day in order to preserve my sanity.
Before I divulge too much, allow me to set the stage for that March 2nd evening. There were two opening acts of some renown; Föllakzoid from Chile and Kinski from Seattle, Washington. Two bands with two drastically different approaches and ideas in the vast world of Psychedelic Rock and Roll. Föllakzoid was interstellar, galaxy hopping break-out-the-joints Rock and Roll to the furthest degree that can be defined, while Kinski played a very primordial, brutish, breakneck set that got the crowd worked up more than The Doug Fir Lounge is probably used to with the malaise of their usual soft hearted Indie Rock fare.
Both bands were prime appetizers, but it's always a thrill to watch a lead act take the stage knowing they harness everything you're craving but with seasoned variety, expertise, and the headliner's allotted time to let their music quake their fans' hearts and souls. Their set was a very appropriate blend of their earlier droned out experimentations in sound and the melodically attainable newer works, much of the time passing in and out through one another seamlessly. They pleased old fans and forged new ones, such as the out-of-town Seattle couple my wife met, whom were celebrating their 30th year anniversary with a trip to Portland and a spontaneous show featuring a completely unfamiliar band. Judging by their dancing and the elated faces around the venue it was quite a successful evening. This reviewer approves of any future Psychic Ills endeavor as long as they keep their heads in the right place. Keep on keepin' on!

No comments:

Post a Comment